Suppression of manifestations of violent ethno-religious extremism: expert assessments.
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2023. Vol. 14. No. 1. P. 137-154
Дата поступления статьи: 26.04.2022
Topic: Destabilisation risks and counteraction to them
Naydenko V. N. Suppression of manifestations of violent ethno-religious extremism: expert assessments Vestnik instituta sotziologii
. 2023. Vol. 14. No. 1. P. 137-154
. EDN: IHZAZS
Growing social tension increases the danger of ethno-religious extremism, that negatively affects the views and value orientations of various groups of the Russian population, worsens the social well-being of society, provokes an increase in protest potential, and threatens Russia's national security. The article deals with the problems of the effectiveness of the measures of state and public structures in the suppression of ethno-extremist actions and analyses the practice of using voluntary public formations for these purposes. A two-stage survey conducted by the author of the article using the methods of questionnaire and in-depth interviews of 20 experts who are highly qualified specialists in the field of countering ethno-extremism, the results of sociological studies of the FCTAS RAS and VCIOM, the conclusions of the IBHR report, as well as the analysis of scientific papers and media publications on the topic of the study showed that the most effective (expert rating "5" on a five-point scale) are the preventive actions of the FSB and the NAC (National Anti-terrorism Committee). The National Guard and the police received a fairly high assessment of the effectiveness of this work (“4”). Cossack organisations received an average assessment of the effectiveness of the researched activity (“3”). The suppressive activity of the DND (Voluntary People´s Squad) was rated "2". The actions of other public law enforcement formations (associations of veterans of law enforcement agencies, self-defense units, youth patrols, etc.), as well as public ethno-religious organisations that are not directly related to law enforcement activities, were recognised as the least effective (“1"). The study showed that 75% of experts consider it justified to use voluntary public law enforcement formations (Cossacks, DND, etc.) to suppress violent ethno-religious manifestations and, above all, the ones of the separatist nature. At the same time, 35% of experts believe that such use is correct in almost any ethno-conflict situation, and 40% are in favour of their use only in emergency circumstances, when government services cannot eliminate a sudden threat on their own. At the same time, 25% of the surveyed experts consider the use of voluntary formations unjustified, since only the state has the right to legitimate use of violence. The results of the assessment of the activities of state and public structures analysed in the article are recommended for the use in developing measures to increase the effectiveness of countering violent ethno-extremism, strengthening civil unity, and achieving interethnic and interfaith harmony in Russian society.
ethno-religious extremism, social tension, state structures for the suppression of ethno-extremism, FSB, National Guard, police, public law enforcement formations, Cossack organisations
- Abazov A. B. Analysis and tasks of the Internal Affairs Department for the prevention and suppression of extremist actions in modern Russia. Probely v rossijskom zakonodatel'stve, 2018: 3: 101–102 (in Russ.).
- Barash R. E. Civic identity of russians: dynamics and prospects. Vestnik Rossijskogo filosofskogo obshchestva, 2020: 1–2: 94–104 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.21146/1606-6251-20193/4-94-104.
- Bredihin A. V. Ethnosocial identity of the modern Russian Cossacks. Gosudarstvennoe upravlenie. Elektronnyj vestnik, 2017: 61. Accessed 16.09.2021. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/etnosotsialnaya-identichnost-sovremennogo-rossiyskogo-kazachestva (in Russ.).
- Bugaj N. F. Russian Cossacks and the problem of identity with the question: who are we? Vestnik VolGU. Ser. 4: Istoriya. Regionovedenie. Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2019: 4. 148–163 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.15688/jvolsu4.2019.4.13.
- Gorshkov M. K., Tyurina I. O. Synthesis of ethno-national and civil as the basis of Russian identity. Vestnik RUDN. Seriya: Sociologiya, 2018: 1: 44–57 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.22363/2313-2272-2018-18-1-44-57.
- Grishchenko L. L., Kadyrov B. N. The use of the internal affairs bodies and the troops of the national guard of the Russian Federation in measures to counter extremism. Akademicheskaya mysl', 2020: 1: 92–97 (in Russ.).
- Zolotov V. V. Participation of the troops of the National Guard of the Russian Federation in the fight against terrorism. Vestnik Nacional'nogo antiterroristicheskogo komiteta,2021: 1: 45–49 (in Russ.).
- Kazachestvo Severnogo Kavkaza kak faktor stabil'nosti regiona [Cossacks of the North Caucasus as a factor of stability in the region]. Moscow, VCIOM, 2017. Accessed 16.09.2021. URL: https://wciom.ru/fileadmin/file/nauka/ns_doklady/2017/kazachestvo.pdf (in Russ.).
- Kolokol'cev V. A. On the results of the work of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia on countering terrorism and ensuring law and order in 2016-2020. Vestnik Nacional'nogo antiterroristicheskogo komiteta, 2021: 1: 31–37 (in Russ.).
- Konevichenko I. L. Cossacks in the legal space of Russia: history and modernity. St. Petersburg, GUAP, 2016: 130 (in Russ.).
- Macievskij G. O. State and Cossacks: on the way to public service. Vestnik VolGU. Ser. 4: Istoriya. Regionovedenie. Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2019: 4: 64–172 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.15688/jvolsu4.2019.4.14.
- Interethnic accord at all-Russian and Regional Dimension. Socio-cultural and religious contexts: [monography]. Ed. by L. М. Drobizheva. Moscow, FNISC RAN, 2018: 552 (in Russ.).
- Naydenko V. N. The likelihood of extremist threats in the ethno-national sphere of Russia. Vestnik Instituta sotziologii, 2019: 10 (4): 111–125 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.19181/vis.2019.31.4.607.
- Naydenko V. N. The main tendencies of ethno-national extremism in Russia. In Science, education, society: trends and development prospects: Mat. XIX Intern. scientific-practical. conf. (Cheboksary, 25.09.2020). Cheboksary, CNS «Interaktiv plyus», 2020: 143–145 (in Russ.).
- Naydenko V. N. Ethnic conflict in the context of Russia's national security. Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya. 2020: 1: 150–162 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.17976/jpps/2020.01.11.
- Proyavleniya agressivnoj ksenofobii i radikal'nogo nacionalizma v Rossijskoj Federacii v yanvare–avguste 2021 goda [Manifestations of aggressive xenophobia and radical nationalism in the Russian Federation in january–august 2021. Report of the Moscow Bureau for Human Rights. 25.10.2021]. Accessed 20.11.2021. URL: https://vid-1.ria.ru/ig/pressmia/2021/20211025_xeno-report-2021.pdf (in Russ.).
- Russian Police Officer – 2021. Analytical review of VTsIOM. 10.11.2021. Accessed 15.11.2021. URL: https://wciom.ru/analytical-reviews/analiticheskii-obzor/rossiiskii-policeiskii-2021 (in Russ.).
- Ryzhova S. V. Generalized trust and feelings towards Russia as components of the all-Russian identity. Sociologicheskaya nauka i social'naya praktika, 2021: 9 (2): 27–41 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.19181/snsp.2021.9.2.8101.
- Samsonova T. N., Cygankova D. N. The main problems and directions of achieving the consolidation of Russian society. Teoriya i praktika obshchestvennogo razvitiya, 2020: 11. Accessed 15.10.2021. URL: http://teoria-practica.ru/rus/files/arhiv_zhurnala/2020/11/sociology/samsonova-tsygankova.pdf (in Russ.).
- Sedov A. S. FSB of Russia in the fight against terrorism in 2006–2020. Vestnik Nacional'nogo antiterroristicheskogo komiteta, 2021: 1: 27–29. (in Russ.).
- Sirotkin I. G. On the activities of the National Anti-Terrorism Committee for 15 years. Vestnik Nacional'nogo antiterroristicheskogo komiteta, 2021: 1: 17–21 (in Russ.).
- Torhov Ya. A. National security issues and the institution of the Cossacks. In Legal sciences: problems and prospects: Mat. III Intern. scientific conf. (Kazan, May 2015). Kazan, Buk, 2015: 48–52 (in Russ.).