Krzhizhanovskogo Street, 24/35, korpus 5, 117218, Moscow, Russia
Tel.: +7 (499) 128-85-19
Fax: +7 (495) 719-07-40
Federal Center of Theoretical and Applied Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences
In the article, based on empirical research of the author, the ecological way of life of the Russian (by the example of Kazan) and American (by the example of Fort Collins, Colorado) studentship is analyzed: the forms of ecological behavior, ecological activism are investigated; the students are grouped by type of ecological activism. The ecological way of life is a wide set of systematically reproduced pro-ecological practices of the population, united by the idea of the subject’s responsibility for the environmental health. We investigated the complex of problems, devoted to different manifestations of the ecological way of life at various levels of social reality. The pro-ecological behavior of American and Kazan students has been studied, and behavioral practices aimed at protecting the environment, protecting the population from the negative impact of unfavorable environmental factors have been revealed. A model for typification of students in environmental activities has been constructed; it includes four types: an ideal pro-ecological type, an incomplete positive type, an incomplete negative type, an anti-environmental type. The conclusion is made that environmentalization of the way of life as a complex construction is expressed in pro-ecological behavior and pro-ecological activism. The availability of necessary infrastructure contributed to environmentalization of the way of life of American students. The ecological way of life of the American students has become more widespread and accessible, in contrast to the Kazan students, where such pro-ecological practices are yet being formed. It is important to produce the necessary infrastructure development facilities: new parks, embankments, gardens. For partial solution of transport problems and reduction of carbon dioxide content in the atmosphere, one can arrange city cycle lanes, ecological bicycle routes. In addition, development of strong civil society institutions contributed to the more active civic position of American students and confidence that with the help of various actions they will be able to influence the decisions of the authorities in the field of environmental activities. Paternalism is characteristic both for the Russian youth, and for the entire population. The study has shown that the American student body acted as the initiator of various pro-ecological practices to a greater degree than Russian students.
environmental lifestyle, environment behavior, environmental activism, typological analysis.
1. Dunlap R. E. From Environmental to Ecological Problems. Social Problems, 1993. 738 p.
2. Inglehart R. Culture Shift in Advanced Industrial Society. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1990.
3. Stern P. C., Dietz T., Kalof L., Guagnano G. A. Values, beliefs, and pro-environmental action: Attitude formation toward emergent attitude objects. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 1995, no 26, pp. 1611–1636.
4. Lubell M. Environmental activism as collective action. Environment and Behavior, 2002, vol. 34 (4), pp. 431–454.
5. Politicheskaya kulʹtura industrialʹnykh i postindustrialʹnykh stran [The political culture of industrial and post-industrial countries]. Artyomov G. P. Politicheskaya sotsiologiya. Moscow, 2002. URL: http://www.i-u.ru/biblio/archive/ artemov_polit/09.aspx [date of visit: 6.12.2011] (in Russ.).
6. Corral-Verdugo V. Situational and personal determinants of waste control practices in northern Mexico: a study of reuse and recycling behaviors. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 2003, no 39, pp. 265–281.
7. Olson M. The logic of collective action. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1970, pp. 21–35.
8. Rice G. Pro-environmental Behavior in Egypt: Is there a Role for Islamic Environmental Ethics? Journal of Business Ethics, 2006, vol. 65 (4), pp. 373–390.
9. Internet-portal «Byudzhet.ru» [Internet portal "Budget.ru"]. URL: http://bujet.ru/ article/106658.php [date of visit: 6.12.2011] (in Russ.).
10. Bykanova N. A. Formirovanie ehkologicheskoy kulʹtury gorodskogo naseleniya v sovremennykh usloviyakh: avtoref. dis. k.s.n [Formation of ecological culture of urban population in modern conditions: author's abstract. dis. cand. ff sociol. Sci.]. Kursk, 2005, pp. 4–23 (in Russ.).