Role models of educators in the context of systemic bureaupathologies.
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2023. Vol. 14. No. 2. P. 34-49
The study was funded by the Russian Science Foundation, grant 23-28-10010.
Дата поступления статьи: 02.05.2023
Topic: Processes of formalization (bureaucratization) in Russian education
Kukushkina A. G., Osipova A. A. Role models of educators in the context of systemic bureaupathologies Vestnik instituta sotziologii
. 2023. Vol. 14. No. 2. P. 34-49
. EDN: NYRWSN
Systemic bureaupathologies have become a barrier in the development, functioning and manageability of Russian education in the increasingly complex social and geopolitical conditions, as well as a new object of sociological research. However, there is not yet enough data at the disposal of scientists on the social consequences of bureaupathologies in the human dimension: deformation of values and attitudes, well-being in the workplace, contradictions in the social and professional adaptation of workers in education. These consequences are latent, but real. Due to the prevailing passivity of the staff, they are not revealed in educational statistics and mandatory reporting, but are obvious in sociological studies. The article reveals the typical role models of employees in the context of bureaupathology and their scale in the professional environment. The article is based on the research conducted in 2018–2023 (Russian Science Foundation grants 18-18-00047, 23-28-10010) using a questionnaire survey on an interregional sample (St. Petersburg, Novgorod region, Altai Territory), in-depth interviews, content analysis of documents in educational institutions of various types, workers load timing.
The role models of educators as a reaction to the daily manifestations of bureaupathologies were grouped according to the key parameters "activity - passivity" and "assistance - opposition". They include active facilitation ("effective managers", "over-administrators", "paper parasites"), passive facilitation ("show-offs", "failed administrators", "burnt out"), passive resistance ("escapists", "adapters"), and active opposition (“questioners”, “reasonable masters”, “nihilists” and “leaving the profession”). Models focused on counteracting paper pressure constitute a social resource for bringing education out of the crisis, but are not characteristic of the majority of staff, and therefore deserve social and organisational support and further study, including within the framework of scientific events of the national project “Education".
The article continues the disclosure of the topic of bureaupathology from different angles, serves to assess the social effectiveness of education management and the prospects for overcoming bureaupathology.
education, educators, bureaucracy, paper pressure, bureaupathology, role models
- Abramov R. N., Gruzdev I. A., Terentev E. A. Working time and the role strains among the university personnel. Voprosy obrazovaniya, 2017: 1: 88–111 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.17323/1814-9545-2017-1-88-111.
- Bykova E. Yu. Social apathy among Russian teachers: to the problem of determining the conditions and causes of origination. Filosofiya obrazovaniya, 2016: 5 (68): 92–105 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.15372/PHE20160509.
- Dyakonov B. P., Igoshev B. M. New roles of an educator in contemporary E-educational environment. Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta, 2014: 5: 59–69 (In Russ.).
- Ilyin E. P. Psixologiya dlya pedagogov [Psychology for educators]. St. Petersburg, Piter, 2012. Accessed 02.07.2022. URL: http://www.al24.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/%D0%B8%D0%BB%D1%8C_1.pdf (in Russ.).
- Informaciya v upravlenii obrazovaniem: teoreticheskie problemy [Information in educational governance: theoretical problems]. Ed. by P. A. Boyadjieva, A. M. Osipov. 2nd ed. St. Petersburg, RSPU A. I. Hertzen, 2019: 215 (in Russ.).
- Klyachko T. L., Tokareva G. S. Teachers’ salary: expectations and results achieved. Voprosy obrazovaniya, 2017: 4: 199–216 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.17323/1814-9545-2017-4-199-216.
- Kustova O. L. Social the analysis of activity of the teacher. Vestnik Yuzhno-Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Ser.: Socialno-gumanitarnye nauki. 2006: 17 (72): 246–250 (in Russ.).
- Osipov A. M. Bureaupathology and paper pressing in the Russian education. Vestnik RUDN. Ser.: Sotsiologiya, 2020: 20 (4): 953–966 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.22363/2313-2272-2020-20-4-953-966.
- Osipov A. M., Matveeva N. A., Boyadjieva P. A., Vorontsov Ya. A. Russian education in the paper abyss. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya, 2020: 3: 60–70 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.31857/S013216250008798-0.
- Osipov A. M. Market mechanisms as a social deadlock in the Russian education. Vysshee obrasovanie v Rossii, 2019: 5: 62–73 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.31992/0869-3617-2019-28-5-63-72.
- Osipov A. M., Matveev V. V., Matveeva N. A., Vorontsov Ya. A. School administrators: agents and victims of paper pressing. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya, 2021: 9: 72–80 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.31857/S013216250014215-9.
- Sociology of education: textbook for universities. Ed. by A. M. Osipov (ed.). 2nd ed. Moscow, YURAIT, 2022: 424 (in Russ.).
- Tkhagapsoev K. G., Sapunov M. B. Russian educational reality and its converted forms. Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii, 2016: 6: 87–97 (in Russ.).
- School in the paper abyss: crisis of information flows in education. Ed. by A. M. Osipov. Veliky Novgorod, Vikont, 2020: 351 (in Russ.).