Agamali K. Mamedov
Doctor of Sociology, Professor,
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
ORCID ID=0000-0002-2607-7546Sergey N. Komissarov
Doctor of Philosophy, Professor,
Institute of Sociology of FCTAS RAS, Moscow, Russia
ORCID ID=0000-0002-5154-3385Eka D. Korkiya
Candidate of Sociology
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
Homo Ludens in the post-truth game world.
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2023. Vol. 14. No. 1. P. 115-136
Дата поступления статьи: 09.10.2022
Topic: Discussion platform
The article analyses the characteristics of the phenomenon of post-truth as a term denoting a radical transformation of the media, that abandoned freedom of speech and objectivity of information in favour of the geopolitical interests of the West, considers the content of the concept of "post-truth" in modern scientific discourse; it is noted that the entry of civilisation into the era of mastering information as a leading source requires the scientific community to comprehend the problems associated with the finiteness of the connection between the semantic volumes of public information and reality, that is reflected in the phenomenon of post-truth. The authors explore the origins of this phenomenon, that fully manifested itself only in the first decades of the 21st century and is associated with the communication "explosion" and the information revolution, that elevated information to the rank of a new global resource. The fragmentation of the perception of reality in the phenomenon of post-truth acts as a means of protecting the human psyche from information overproduction, where information is used as a tool for implementing the geopolitical interests of the collective West, that owns the lion's share of the world media. The authors are not inclined to identify post-truth solely with false information and suggest considering it as the result of practical assimilation and multidirectional understanding by society of the multiplicity of realities naturally inherent in human beings. The article presents ways of conceptual consideration of the phenomenon of post-truth in the framework of correlating various historically significant evolutionary states of an individual, differing in the motivation of communicative activity. Four such states (Homo Mythicus, Homo Ludens, Homo Historicus, Homo Novus) are consistently demonstrated by the conditions of social development, but there is no clear idea to which of these types a person of a particular historical period or socio-political group can be attributed to. Post-truth is considered by the authors as a systemic phenomenon, that is a consequence of the relationship between the elements of three social processes. These include: a) gamification of existence, requiring the individual to participate in everyday experience of the plurality of surrounding realities; b) neuroticisation of social life due to high information pressure; c) the transformation of the media, that is expressed in the increased interdependence of the functions of information, entertainment and ideological influence. The authors propose a method for analysing post-truth addressees through the correlation of historically significant evolutionary states of an individual, that differ in the way of motivating communicative activity.
post-truth, information, communication, multiple realities, game, media, neuroticisation of social life, Homo Ludens, Homo Mythicus, Homo Historicus, Homo Novus
- Asmolov A. G. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya i konstruirovaniye mirov [Cultural and historical psychology and the construction of worlds]. Moscow, IPP, Voronezh, NPO «MODEK», 1996: 768 (in Russ.).
- Asmolov A. G. Optika prosveshheniya: sociokul'turnye perspektivy [Optics of enlightenment: sociocultural perspectives]. Moscow, Prosveshcheniye, 2012: 447 (in Russ.).
- Bakhtin M. M. Sobraniye sochineniy: v 7 t. T. 3: Teoriya romana (1930–1961 gg.) [Collected works: in 7 vol. Vol. 3: Theory of the novel (1930–1961)]. Ed. S. G. Bocharov, V. V. Kozhinov. Moscow, Russkoye slovo, 2012: 877 (in Russ.).
- Berendeev M. V. Inversion of the image of the country and the politics of post-truth in media discourse (Russia in the Polish case). In Politics of post-truth in the modern world. Mat. of the All-Russ. Scient. Conf. with intern. particip. Ed. by O. V. Popova. St. Petersburg: Skifiya-print, 2017: 282 (in Russ.).
- Gefter M. Ya. Tret'yego tysyacheletiya ne budet. Russkaya istoriya igry s chelovechestvom: opyty politicheskiye, istoricheskiye i teologicheskiye o Revolyutsii i Sovetskom mire kak Russkom. Mikhail Gefter v razgovorakh s Glebom Pavlovskim [There will be no third millennium. Russian Russian history of the game with humanity: political, historical and theological experiences about the Revolution and the Soviet World as Russian. Mikhail Gefter in conversations with Gleb Pavlovsky]. Moscow, Evropa, 2015: 398 (in Russ.).
- Gorlach M. E. Overcoming the pessimism of the concept of postmodernism. Obshchestvo: filosofiya, istoriya, kul'tura, 2021: 9: 39–42 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.24158/fik.2021.9.6.
- Jamison F. Postmodernism, or the Cultural Logic of late capitalism. Transl. from Eng. by D. Kralechkin; ed. by A. Oleynikov. Moscow, In-t Gaidara, 2019: 808 (in Russ.).
- Evin I. A. Iskusstvo i sinergetika [Art and synergetics]. Moscow, Editorial URSS, 2004: 164 (in Russ.).
- Kratkiy psikhologicheskiy slovar' [A brief psychological dictionary]. Comp. L. A. Karpenko; gen. ed. by A. V. Petrovsky, M. G. Yaroshevsky. Moscow, Politizdat, 1985: 431 (in Russ.).
- Kuzina S. I. Post-truth in the processes of forming the political image of Russia. In Politics of post-truth in the modern world. Mat. of the All-Russ. Scient. Conf. with intern. particip. Ed. by O. V. Popova. St. Petersburg: Skifiya-print, 2017: 282 (in Russ.).
- Leonhard K. Aktsentuirovannyye lichnosti [Accentuated personalities]. Transl. from Germ. by V. Leshchinskaya. Moscow, EKSMO-Press, 2001: 446 (in Russ.).
- Loro N. The Divided city: Oblivion in the Memory of Athens. Transl. from Fr., preface and note by S. Ermakov. Moscow, NLO, 2021: 360 (in Russ.).
- Lang R. D. Raskolotoye «YA» [Split "I"]. St. Petersburg, Belyy Krolik, 1995: 352 (in Russ.).
- Martianov D. S. Factors of post-truth politics and neovirtuality. In Politics of post-truth in the modern world. Mat. of the All-Russ. Scient. Conf. with intern. particip. Ed. by O. V. Popova. St. Petersburg: Skifiya-print, 2017: 282 (in Russ.).
- Movchan A. Russia in the post–Truth era: Common sense against information noise. Moscow, Alpina Publisher, 2019: 598 (in Russ.).
- Moraev F. V. The phenomenon of post-truth in the daily work of the press services of regional executive authorities (on the example of the Leningrad region). In Politics of post-truth in the modern world. Mat. of the All-Russ. Scient. Conf. with intern. particip. Ed. by O. V. Popova. St. Petersburg: Skifiya-print, 2017: 282 (in Russ.).
- Morozov A. V. The answer to the question: what is post-truth? Perspective of problematology. Gorizonty gumanitarnogo znaniya, 2019: 3: 93–105. Accessed 18.08.2022. URL: http://journals.mosgu.ru/ggz/article/view/1048 (in Russ.).
- Mchedlova M. M. Epistemological projection of the phenomenon of "post-truth". In Politics of post-truth in the modern world. Mat. of the All-Russ. Scient. Conf. with intern. particip. Ed. by O. V. Popova. St. Petersburg: Skifiya-print, 2017: 282 (in Russ.).
- Patrakova A. The number of money scams has increased in Russia. Half of ATM fraud is related to social engineering // CNews. 2022. May 20. Accessed 18.08.2022. URL: https://safe.cnews.ru/news/top/2022-05-20_v_rossii_vyroslo_chislo_denezhnyh (in Russ.).
- Plutarch (ca. 45–ca. 127). Sravnitel'nyye zhizneopisaniya [Comparative biographies]. Full transl. from ancient Greek. Moscow, Eksmo; St. Petersburg: Midgard, 2006: 1503 (in Russ.).
- Rubinstein S. L. Chelovek i mir [Man and the world]. St. Petersburg, 2012: 210 (in Russ.).
- Sviridov A. V. Postmodern and post-truth in the context of geopolitical transformations. In Politics of post-truth in the modern world. Mat. of the All-Russ. Scient. Conf. with intern. particip. Ed. by O. V. Popova. St. Petersburg: Skifiya-print, 2017: 282 (in Russ.).
- Sorel J. Razmyshleniya o nasilii [Reflections on violence]. Moscow, Falanster, 2013: 293 (in Russ.).
- Wilson R. A. Psikhologiya evolyutsii [Psychology of evolution]. Transl. from Eng. Moscow, OOO ID "Sofia", 2006: 304 (in Russ.).
- Fantalov A. N., Malyazina M. A. Homo novus and I. I. Betsky's activity in the field of Russian Enlightenment. Vestnik Shadrinskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta, 2019: 3 (43): 161–166 (in Russ.).
- Fink E. The main phenomena of human existence. Trans. from Germ. by A. V. Garadzha, L. Yu. Fukson. Moscow Kanon + ROOI «Reabilitatsiya», 2017: 432 (in Russ.).
- Huxley O. Return to the brave new world. Transl. from Eng. by A. Anvaer. Moscow, AST, 2019: 192 (in Russ.).
- Khanin Z. Middle East politics in the "Trump era" – a view from Jerusalem. Accessed 08.12.22. URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CWne66jtus&t=304s (in Russ.).
- Hardt M., Negri A. Imperiya [Empire]. Transl. from Eng., ed. by G. V. Kamenskaya, M. S. Fetisova. Moscow, Praksis, 2004: 440 (in Russ.).
- Huizinga J. Autumn of the Middle Ages. Homo ludens. Essay. Comp., preface. and transl. from Netherl. by D. V. Silvestrov; comment by D. E. Kharitonovich. Moscow, KoLibri, Azbuka-Atticus, 2019: 1232 (in Russ.).
- Cicero M. T. (106–43 BC). Dialogi: O gosudarstve. O zakonakh [Dialogues: About the state. On the laws]. Trans. from lat.; ed. prepar. by I. N. Veselovsky [et al.]. Moscow, Nauka, 1966: 224 (in Russ.).
- Chernikov M. V., Perevozchikova L. S. The problem of truth in modern society. Filosofiya i obshchestvo, 2019: 1: 95–110 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.30884/jfio/2019.01.06.
- Shertok L., de Saussure R. Rozhdeniye psikhoanalitika. Ot Mesmera do Freyda [The birth of a psychoanalyst. From Mesmer to Freud]. Trans. from Fr., introduce. by N. S. Autonomova. Moscow, Progress, 1991: 288 (in Russ.).
- Shibutani T. Sotsial'naya psikhologiya [Social Psychology]. Transl. from Eng. by V. B. Olshansky. Rostov-on-Don, Feniks, 1999: 544 (in Russ.).
- Entsiklopedicheskiy sotsiologicheskiy slovar' [Encyclopedic sociological dictionary]. General ed. by G. V. Osipov. Moscow, ISPI RAN, 1995: 939 (in Russ.).
- Homo Historicus: K 80-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya Yu. L. Bessmertnogo [Homo Historicus: To the 80th anniversary of the birth of Yu. L. Immortal]. In 2 books. Book I. Ed. by A. O. Chubaryan. Moscow, Nauka, 2003: 797 (in Russ.).
- Korkiya E. D., Mamedov A. K., Vasiliev A. The problem of truth in social knowledge: the modern discourse. EurAsian Journal of BioSciences, 2020: 14: 2: 5103–5108.
- Korkiya E. D., Mamedov A. K. Features of self-design in the virtual world. Sociodinamika, 2022: 3: 1–22. DOI: 10.25136/2409-7144.2022.3.37580.