Temporality of trauma (reflecting on the book by Zh. T. Toshchenko).
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2023. Vol. 14. No. 1. P. 67-77
Дата поступления статьи: 23.02.2023
Topic: Transformation of Russian society in sociological retrospective
This article introduces the reader to reflections on the fundamental scientific publication of Zh. T. Toshchenko. The intersection of the discourses of historical time and social trauma is explained as a still poorly studied phenomenon of reality. All sections of the book are analysed in detail, in the form of a round table with scientists interested in the subject of the monograph under discussion. The article shows Toshchenko's interest in detailing the conceptual apparatus of the book, his desire to reveal concepts, paradigms, theories and definitions, integrating scrupulousness in the analysis of cases and examples with a generalisation of world and national history. The article contains an analysis of the disclosure in the monograph of the categories of progress, evolution and revolution, the definition of generic and specific features of the society of trauma in the absence of a development strategy and state ideology. In unison with the new bestseller, the article gives an example of a revolution in the discourse of the refraction of time in Russian history as a motley non-linear temporality of 1917 and the entire 20th century. A dramatic traumatic intersection of historical time by the event of a revolution that shook the world and overturned the established system of social coordinates was revealed. The article emphasises the conclusion about the Russian trauma as a result of historical upheavals that exposed the crisis of civilisation, the relationship between Russia and the West, the people and the intelligentsia, power and society. The temporal turn turns out to be a useful tool for understanding the concept of trauma of society, that has come into trend of modern scientific directions. The article provides with additional examples of traumatic events and cases of optimisation in Russian education and healthcare. Monographic conclusions relate to overcoming the trauma of society by means of achieving the strategic goal of development - social justice, solving social problems, eliminating inequality and mobilising creative potential. The article reveals the merits of the monograph, including interdisciplinarity and universality, original analytical perspectives and conceptual possibilities. The article also contains recommendations for universities to create a special course for undergraduate and graduate students on the basis of the book´s content.
social trauma, evolution, revolution, temporality, nonlinearity, optimisation, precariat, inequality, structuring
- Ambarova P. A. Fear of Time: Sociocultural Meanings and Strategies for Overcoming [Strakh pered vremenem: sotsiokul'turnyye smysly i strategii preodoleniya]. In Sotsiologiya i obshchestvo: global'nyye vyzovy i regional'noye razvitiye [Sociology and Society: Global Challenges and Regional Development]. Mat. IV All-Russian. sociological congress. Ufa, ROS, 2012: 7649–7655 (in Russ.).
- Braudel F. Material'naya tsivilizatsiya, ekonomika i kapitalizm. XV–XVIII vv. T. 3: Vremya mira [Material civilization, economy and capitalism. XV–XVIII centuries. Vol. 3: Time of the world]. Transl. from French by L. Kubel. Moscow, Progress, 1992: 368 (in Russ.).
- Giddens A. Elementy teorii strukturatsii [Elements of the theory of structuration]. In Sovremennaya sotsial'naya teoriya: Burd'yo, Giddens, Khabermas [Modern social theory: Bourdieu, Giddens, Habermas]. Novosibirsk, Novosib. un-t, 1995: 40–72 (in Russ.).
- Giddens A. Ustroyeniye obshchestva: Ocherk teorii strukturatsii [Organization of society: Essay on the theory of structuration]. 2nd ed. Moscow, Academ. Projekt, 2005: 528 (in Russ.).
- Kravchenko S. A. Modern i postmodern: «staroye» i novoye videniye [Modern and Postmodern: "Old" and New Vision]. Sotsiologicheskiye issledovaniya, 2007: 9: 24–34 (in Russ.).
- McNaughten F., Urry D. Sotsiologiya prirody [Sociology of nature]. In [Theory of society]. Ed. A. F. Filippova. Moscow, KANON-press-C, Kuchkovo pole, 1999: 261–292 (in Russ.).
- Orlova G. A., Balakhonskaya M. N., Berlov A. A. et al. 1934. To the archeology of "our time". Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Ser.: Istoriya, 2022: 57: 2: 83–104 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.17072/2219-3111-2022-2-83-104; EDN: RWVTER.
- Ricoeur P. Pamyat', istoriya, zabveniye. Frantsuzskaya filosofiya XX veka [Memory, history, oblivion. French philosophy of the 20th century]. Moscow, Gum. lit-ra, 2004: 728 (in Russ.).
- Temporalism of the social reality of the pandemic: public mood, discourses and experience. Ed. by V. Yarskaya-Smirnova, E. Yarskaya-Smirnova. Moscow, Variant, 2022: 380 (in Russ.).
- Tishkov V. A. Rekviyem po etnosu. Issledovaniya po sotsial'no-kul'turnoy antropologii [Requiem for ethnicity. Studies in socio-cultural anthropology]. Moscow, Nauka, 2003: 544 (in Russ.).
- Toshchenko Zh. T. Society of trauma: between evolution and revolution (the experience of theoretical and empirical analysis). Moscow, Ves Mir, 2020: 352 (In Russ.).
- Toshchenko Zh. T. Paradoksal'nyy chelovek [Paradoxical man]. 2nd ed., rev. and addit. Moscow, UNITI-DANA, 2008: 543 (in Russ.).
- Toshchenko Zh. T. Precariat: from protoclass to new class. Moscow, Nauka, 2018: 350 (in Russ.).
- Troitsky S. A. Uskoreniye vremeni [Time acceleration]. In Filosofiya starosti: gerontosofiya [Philosophy of old age: gerontosophy]. Mat. of conference. St. Petersburg, SPbFO, 2002: 66–71 (in Russ.).
- Halbvaks M. Kollektivnaya i istoricheskaya pamyat' [Collective and historical memory]. In Pamyat' o voyne 60 let spustya: Rossiya, Germaniya, Yevropa [Memory of the war 60 years later: Russia, Germany, Europe]. Moscow, NLO, 2005: 16–50 (in Russ.).
- Halbvaks M. Sotsial'nyye ramki pamyati [Social framework of memory]. Moscow, Novoye izd-vo, 2007: 348 (in Russ.).
- Yarskaya V. N. Istoricheskoye vremya fantomov [Historical time of phantoms]. Sotsial'no-gumanitarnyye znaniya, 2015: 2: 283–293 (in Russ.).
- Yarskaya-Smirnova V. N., Kovalev M. V. The temporality of the revolution in the discourse of the Russian emigration. Vestnik SPbGU. Sotsiologiya, 2017: 10: 3: 269–286 (in Russ.).
- Yarskaya-Smirnova E. R., Yarskaya-Smirnova V. N. Social work in the optics of temporality: ideas and approaches. Otechestvennyy zhurnal sotsial'noy raboty,2022: 2 (89): 10–23 (in Russ.). EDN: ELVENU.
- Fraser J. T. Time, Conflict, and Human Values. Urbana-Chicago, University of Illinois Press, 1999: 306.
- Gurvitch G. The Problem of Time. In The Sociology of Time. ed. by J. Hassard. London, Macmillan, 1990: 35–44.