On the application of the "DAY AFTER RECALL" methodology in measuring broadcasting ratings: the experience of the Republic of Belarus.
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 4. P. 236-250
Дата поступления статьи: 17.12.2021
Topic: Modern Belarusian sociology
Postalovsky A. V. On the application of the "DAY AFTER RECALL" methodology in measuring broadcasting ratings: the experience of the Republic of Belarus Vestnik instituta sotziologii
. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 4. P. 236-250
. EDN: IFIJPP
The presented article is devoted to the theoretical and methodological consideration of the research practice of implementing the methodology for measuring DAY AFTER RECALL (DAR) broadcasting, used by the national meter (СJSC MediaIzmeritel) in the Republic of Belarus. The paper reveals in detail the foundations of DAR methodological tools, describes the heuristic potential, capabilities and limitations of the described measurement method. The article also reveals the content of the main metrics (media indicators) that are used in media planning, describes the mechanism for forming a sample population used in such studies. An abstract analysis of the socio-demographic profile of the radio audience was carried out, rating indicators (share) of radio stations were identified. At the end of the article, based on the practice of implementing a radio measurement project, reasoned conclusions are formulated about the advantages and limitations of the DAR technique. It is concluded that there is no conditional universal and “ideal” way to measure broadcasting ratings, since each of the described methods has its own advantages and limitations. In these contexts, first of all, the material and organisational capabilities of a research company come to the fore when making the final choice of a method for measuring the broadcasting audience.
radio, media measurements, DAY AFTER RECALL, radio stations, audience
- Averyanov O. V. The value of radio in the formation and development of mass communications. Poziciya. Filosofskie problemy` nauki i texniki, 2012: 6 (6): 154–157 (in Russ.).
- Baranova E. A. Influence of the process of media convergence on the reduction of the duration of radio broadcasts and the appearance of mini-headings. RUDN Journal of Studies in Literature and Journalism, 2016: 1: 96–101 (in Russ.).
- Budkov D. V., Fotieva I. V. Dynamics of forms of interactivity in modern radio journalism. Mediaissledovaniya, 2016: 3: 122–129 (in Russ.).
- Karev V. Y., Sakharova I. N. Modern trends in the development of radio in Russia. Peterburgskij ekonomicheskij zhurnal, 2021: 3: 74–84 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.24412/2307-5368-2021-3-74-84
- Lebedeva A. L. Trends in Information Radio Broadcasting in Belarus in the 1990s 20th century and at the present stage. Trudy BGTU, 2019: 4: 2: 45–50 (in Russ.).
- Postalovsky A. V. Methodology DAY AFTER RECALL in the media measurement of broadcasting. Vesnik Bresczkaga ўniversiteta. Ser. 1. Filasofiya. Palitalogiya. Sacyyalogiya, 2021: 2: 114–119 (in Russ.).
- Postalovsky A. V. Nacionalnoe informacionnoe pole v kontekste vy`zovov i ugroz sovremennogo mira: sociologicheskoe izmerenie [National information field in the context of challenges and threats of the modern world: sociological dimension: monograph]. Minsk, RIVSh, 2019: 236 (in Russ.).
- Respublika Belarus v zerkale sociologii: sbornik materialov sociologi-cheskix issledovanij [The Republic of Belarus in the mirror of sociology: a collection of sociological research materials] / Informacionno-analiticheskij centr pri Administracii Prezidenta Respubliki Belarus` [Information and Analytical Center under the Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus]. Minsk: 2018: 180 (in Russ.).
- Predpochteniya belorusskix radioslushatelej Preferences of Belarusian radio listeners [Preferences of Belarusian radio listeners] [Electronic resource] / Official site Institute of Sociology of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. Accessed 05.10.2021. URL: https://socio.bas-net.by/predpochtenie-belorusskih-radioslushatelej/ (in Russ.).
- Tereshchenko O. V., Tereshchenko M. S. Measurements of the media audience: the history of formation. Sociologicheskij al`manax, 2020: 11: 163–175 (in Russ.).
- Sharikov A. V. Public broadcasting in Russia: a trend towards the loss of influence. Monitoring obshhestvennogo mneniya: Ekonomicheskie i socialnye peremeny, 2019: 2: 439–458 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.14515/monitoring.2019.2.20
- Shchepilov K. V. Mediaissledovaniya i mediaplanirovanie [Media research and media planning]. Moscow, RIP-holding, 2005: 144 (in Russ.).