Social activity and social responsibility in the ideas and practices of modern youth.
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 1. P. 129-143
The reported study was funded by RFBR, project number 19-011-00768
Дата поступления статьи: 12.12.2021
This Article is downloaded: 59 times
Topic: Modern youth: identity and social activity
Kostina E. Y.., Orlova N. A.. Social activity and social responsibility in the ideas and practices of modern youth. Vestnik instituta sotziologii
. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 1. P. 129-143
Currently, the search for groups and individuals that can become the driving force behind the development of modern Russian society is relevant on the social agenda. Traditionally, it is the youth that is seen as a social group, devoid of the burden of the past and focused on innovation, transformation and reform. Today's young people live in a very contradictory world, facing greater social problems than other age cohorts faced previously. Thus, the realities of a market economy and the globalisation of social processes and interactions are superimposed on the values and ideas of freedom of choice, self-realisation, success in life, as well as the desire to actively participate in the society life. The question of the willingness of young people to bear social responsibility for the chosen forms and ways of influencing social processes and phenomena remains open, since responsibility for innovations being introduced is the other side of social and civic activity. The article presents an analysis of the data obtained by the authors in the course of a sociological study of the social, civic activity of young people, as well as the social responsibility of representatives of this socio-demographic group. The research project was implemented in December 2020 in the form of a questionnaire survey of the youth of Primorsky region, as well as in-depth interviews. It is emphasised that of particular importance in the study of this issue are the regional dimension of the life positions of young people, in the field of social activity in general, in understanding and comprehending the civic activity of their generation, in particular, and in assessing their own position in the coordinates of inclusion-exclusion. Attention is focused on the need for such a dialogue between society, government and youth, that is not limited to declarations, but is based on the mandatory development of mechanisms for involving youth groups in socially responsible practices, on stimulating specific youth initiatives, project and creative activities.
youth, social activity, social responsibility, trust, value orientations
- Arendachuk I. V. Dynamics of Value and Meaning Characteristics of Social Activity of Modern Youth. RUDN. Journal of Psychology and Pedagogics, 2018: 15(3): 287–307 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.22363/2313-1683-2018-15-3-287-307
- Vinokurova A. V. Dal'nevostochnye regiony rossijsko-kitajskogo prigranich'ya: aktual'nye problemy i trendy social'no-ekonomicheskogo i demograficheskogo razvitiya [Far Eastern Regions of the Russian-Chinese Borderlands: Current Problems and Trends in Socio-Economic and Demographic Development]. In Sociologicheskoe prochtenie nastoyashchego i kontury budushchego. Materialy mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii [Sociological reading of the present and contours of the future. Materials of the international scientific-practical conference]. Minsk, BGU, 2020: 190–192 (in Russ.).
- Zhelnina A. A., Tykanova E. V. Formal and informal civic infrastructure: contemporary studies of urban local activism in Russia. Zhurnal sotsiologii i sotsialnoy antropologii, 2019: 22(1): 162–192 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.31119/jssa.2019.22.1.8
- Zarubina N. N. The Youth in Terms of Anomie: Who Will Take the Responsibility for the Future of Russia? Obshchestvennye nauki i sovremennost', 2016: 2: 52–63 (in Russ.).
- Kostina E. Yu., Orlova N. A., Rubina A. E. Regional demographic policy as a component of social wellbeing of population (on the materials of Primorsky krai). Narodonaselenie, 2019: 22: 4: 126–136 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.24411/1561-7785-2019-00044
- Krivosheev V. V. Korotkie zhiznennye proekty: proyavlenie anomii v sovremennom obshchestve [Short life projects: manifestation of anomie in modern society]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya, 2009: 3: 57–67 (in Russ.).
- Nikovskaya L. I., Skalaban I. A. Civic Participation: Features of Discourse and Actual Trends of Development. Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya, 2017: 6: 43–60 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.17976/jpps/2017.06.04
- Omel'chenko E. L. Molodezhnyj aktivizm v Rossii i global'nye transformacii ego smysla [Youth activism in Russia and global transformations of its meaning]. Zhurnal issledovaniya social'noj politiki, 2005: 3: 1: 59–86 (in Russ.)
- Podyachev K. V., Khaliy I. A. The State Youth Policy in Contemporary Russia: Concept and Realities. RUDN. Journal of Sociology, 2020: 20(2): 263–276 (in Russ.) DOI: 10.22363/2313-2272-2020-20-2-263-276
- Pronina A. A. Responsibility as the dominant characteristic of social activity of youth. Vestnik Vladimirskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. Aleksandra Grigor'evicha i Nikolaya Grigor'evicha Stoletovyh. Seriya: Pedagogicheskie i psihologicheskie nauki, 2019: 39(58): 145–149 (in Russ.).
- Seregin A. N. Metodika issledovaniya social'noj aktivnosti studencheskoj molodyozhi [Methodology for studying the social activity of student youth]. Teksty dokladov III Vserossijskogo sociologicheskogo kongressa [Texts of the reports of the III All-Russian Sociological Congress]. Moscow, IS RAN, 2008. Accessed 12.06.2021. URL: https://www.isras.ru/publications_bank/1227106570.pdf (in Russ.).
- Smirnov V. A. Youth politics: a systematic description. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya, 2014: 3(359): 72–80 (in Russ.).
- Sohadze K. G. Social activity of the Russian youth: the scope and restraining factors. RUDN. Journal of Sociology, 2017: 17: 3: 348–363 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.22363/2313-2272-2017-17-3-348-363
- Khaliy I. A. Sovremennyye obshchestvennyye dvizheniya: innovatsionnyy potentsial rossiyskikh preobrazovaniy v traditsionalistskoy srede [Modern social movements: innovative potential of Russian transformations in traditionalist environment]. Moscow, IS RAN, 2007: 299 (in Russ.).
- Khaliy I. A., Podyachev K. V. Youth policy as a factor of social development: conceptual contradictions. In Self-regulation of youth life: methodology and social practices: monograph / Yu. A. Zubok, O. N. Bezrukova, Yu. R. Vishnevsky et al. Belgorod, Epicenter LLC, 2021: 464–495 (in Russ.).
- Shcheblanova V. V., Loginova L. V., Zajcev D. V., Surkova I. Yu. Student civil activism: risk of destructive manifestations in the Volga region. RUDN. Journal of Sociology, 2020: 20: 3: 595–610 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.22363/2313-2272-2020-20-3-595-610
- Barrett M., Zani B. Political and civic engagement: Multidisciplinary perspectives. London, Routledge, 2015: 584.
- Bauman Z., Donskis L. Moral Blindness. The Loss of Sensitivity in Liquid Modernity. Cambridge, Polity Press, 2013: 224.
- Beck U. The Metamorphosis of the World. Cambridge, Polity, 2016: 223.
- Bessant J., Farthing R., Watts R. The Precarious Generation: A Political Economy of Young People. London, Routledge, 2017: 238.
- Buchholz S., Hofacker D., Mills M., Blossfeld H.P., Kurz K., Hofmeister H. Life Courses in the Globalization Process: The Development of Social Inequalities in Modern Societies. European Sociological Review, 2009: 25: 53–71.
- Churchill B., Denny L., Jackson N. Thank God you’re here: The Coming Generation and their Role in Future Proofing Australia from the Challenges of Population Ageing. Journal of Social Issues, 2014: 49 (3): 373–392. DOI: 10.1002/j.1839-4655.2014.tb00318.x
- Dalton R. J. Citizenship Norms and the Expansion of Political Participation. Political Studies, 2008: 56: 76–98.
- Denny L., Churchill B. Youth Employment in Australia: A Comparative Analysis of Labour Force Participation by Age Group. Journal of Applied Youth Studies, 2016: 1 (2): 5–23.
- Fuchs Ch. The self-organization of social movements. Systemic Practice and Action Research, 2006: 19: 1: 101–137. DOI: 10.1007/s11213-005-9006-0
- Moss P., Moss G. Toward a new public education: making globalization work for us all. Child development perspectives, 2008: 2: 2: 114–119. DOI: 10.1111/J.1750-8606.2008.00051.X
- Rainsford E. Exploring youth political activism in the United Kingdom: What makes young people politically active in different organisations? British Journal of Politics and International Relations, 2017: 1–17. DOI: 10.1177/1369148117728666