Nikolai L. Myslivets
Candidate of Sociology, Associate professor, Institute of Sociology of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Formation and features of the evolution of historical memory among the Belarusian youth (from the experience of sociological research).
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 1. P. 26-43
Äàòà ïîñòóïëåíèÿ ñòàòüè: 26.10.2021
This Article is downloaded: 34 times
Topic: Modern Belarusian Sociology
Myslivets N. L.. Formation and features of the evolution of historical memory among the Belarusian youth (from the experience of sociological research). Vestnik instituta sotziologii
. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 1. P. 26-43
The introduction to the article substantiates the relevance of the topic of forming the historical memory of young people in a changing society. The article demonstrates the scientific-theoretical and practical significance of the sociological study of this problem. The technique of longitudinal research of historical memory is presented. The object of the study: graduate students of general secondary education and first and second year students of higher education in Grodno (Republic of Belarus). The main part of the article deals with the evolution of the historical memory of the Belarusian youth. The empirical basis of the work is formed by the results of three sociological surveys conducted in 2010, 2014 and 2021. The surveys were conducted according to the same methodology type. The goal was to identify the features and tendencies of the formation and the evolution of the historical memory of pupils and students, the level of knowledge and ideas about the events of the Great Patriotic War, assessments of the past and attitude to significant historical events. The mechanisms of formation and intergenerational transmission of historical memory are described. Based on the obtained empirical data, the content features of the historical memory of the Great Patriotic War are analysed.
The most important source of formation of the historical memory of young people is school and university education. Most of the respondents note the absolute relevance in the modern society of the theme of the Great Patriotic War and the heroical deeds by the USSR peoples. The change of generations actualises the role of the family as an institution of the historical memory of young people. The article describes the influence of such socialising factors as movies, the Internet, television. The role of commemorations as a source of formation of the historical memory of living generations is considered. The results of the conducted studies are of practical importance. The obtained data were introduced into the educational process organised in institutions of general secondary and higher education. The materials and conclusions were recommended to government bodies and other organisations to be used in the development of the main directions of the state youth policy in the Republic of Belarus and its implementation across the country. At the end of the article, conclusions are presented based on the results of the study. The consolidating role of historical memory in the development of modern society is emphasised.
historical memory, the Great Patriotic War, students, student youth, higher education institutions, family, education system, continuity of generations
- Belarus′ v gody Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyny 1941–1945. [Belarus during the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945]. A. A. Kovalenya (head of the team of authors), A. M. Litvin, V. I. Kuz′menko et al. Minsk, BELTA publ., 2005: 544 (in Russ.).
- Danilov A. N. Historical memory in the culture of a modern city. Tsivilizatsionnyye sdvigi v razvitii sovremennogo goroda. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Civilizational shifts in the development of a modern city. Collection of scientific papers]. Ed. by T. I. Grabel′nykh. Irkutsk, IGU, 2021: 24–29 (in Russ.).
- Znat′, chtoby predvidet′ … Sotsiologicheskiye etyudy [To know to foresee... Sociological studies]. Ed. by A. N. Danilov. Minsk, BGU, 2015: 359 (in Russ.).
- Istoriya belorusskoy gosudarstvennosti. Vol. 3: Belorusskaya gosudarstvennost′: ot idei k natsional′nomu gosudarstvu (1917–1939 gg.) [History of Belarusian statehood: in 5 vol. Vol. 3: Belarusian statehood: from an idea to a national state (1917–1939)]. Ed. by V. G. Mazets, N. V. Smekhovich, S. A. Tret′yak; Institute of History of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. Minsk, Belaruskaya navuka, 2019: 639 (in Russ.).
- Kovalenya A. A. To defend the truth of the great patriotic war. Problemy upravleniya, 2015: 2 (55): 25–32 (in Russ.).
- Kotlyarov I. V. Gordit′sya slavoy svoikh predkov. Velikaya Otechestvennaya voyna v pamyati naroda: sotsiologicheskiye trendy [Be proud of the glory of your ancestors. The Great Patriotic War in the memory of the people: sociological trends]. Belaruskaya dumka, 2014: 8: 88–91 (in Russ.).
- Lastovskiy A. L. Istoricheskaya pamyat′ v soderzhanii kul′turnoy identichnosti. [Historical memory in the content of cultural identity]. Vzaimodeystviye ustoychivosti i innovatsionnosti v razvitii belorusskogo obshchestva: sbornik nauchnykh trudov. [Interaction of sustainability and innovation in the development of Belarusian society: Collection of scientific papers]. Minsk, 2009: 284–299 (in Russ.).
- Lashuk I. V. Social component of the historical memory of the great patriotic war in the public consciousness of the citizens in belarus: generational differences. Sotsiologicheskiy al′manakh, 2015: 6: 210–220 (in Russ.).
- Mal′tsev L. S. Velikaya Otechestvennaya voyna: srazheniye za pravdu istorii [Great Patriotic War: the battle for the truth of history]. Armiya, 2009: 33: 1–7 (in Russ.).
- Maretskiy A. I. Problema formirovaniya istoricheskoy pamyati u studencheskoy molodezhi [The problem of the formation of historical memory among students]. Ekalog³ya kul′tury: XVII M³zhnar. K³ryla-Myafodz³ewsk³ya chytann³, prysvechanyya Dnyam slavyanskaga p³s′menstva ³ kul′tury. [Environmental Culture: XVII International Cyrill and Methodius Readings dedicated to the Days of Slavic Written Language and Culture]. Minsk, 2012: 62–68 (in Russ.).
- Matusevich O. A. Basic approaches to the study of the historical memory of belarusians: challenges, achievements and prospects. Trudy BGTU. Seriya 6. Istoriya, filosofiya, 2017: 2 (203): 74–78 (in Russ.).
- Myslivets N. L. Sociological longitude as a research method of historical memory of the family. Vesn³k GrDU ³mya Yank³ Kupaly. Ser. 5. Ekanom³ka. Satsyyalog³ya. B³yalog³ya, 2016: 6: 2: 106–111 (in Russ.).
- Education in the Republic of Belarus: short data book. Ed. by I. V. Medvedeva [et al.]. Minsk, Nacional'nyj statisticheskij komitet Respubliki Belarus', 2021: 39 (in Russ.).
- B³ch M. V. Ab natsyyanal′nay kantseptsy³ g³story³ g³starychnay adukatsy³ w Respubl³tsy Belarus′ [On the national concept of the history of historical education in the Republic of Belarus]. Belaruski gistary`chny` chasopis, 1993: 1: 15–24 (in Bel.).