Alexander N. Danilov
, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Doctor of Sociology, Professor,
Belarusian State University, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Sociological imagination in the zone of ignorance (on the example of the development of sociology in Belarus).
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 1. P. 14-25
Дата поступления статьи: 05.01.2022
This Article is downloaded: 36 times
Topic: Modern Belarusian Sociology
Danilov A. N. Sociological imagination in the zone of ignorance (on the example of the development of sociology in Belarus) Vestnik instituta sotziologii
. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 1. P. 14-25
. EDN: SHLQAE
The modern world is globally unstable. It is characterised by the permanent emergence of new challenges and risks, that in response leads to the emergence of a new type of civilizational development and the formation of a previously unknown integrity. The article reveals the mechanism and motives for choosing the path of development and the role of the sociological imagination in this process. Imagination becomes a general, interdisciplinary concept that performs in science, first of all, a cognitive function that helps to overcome ignorance. The study of modernity in the current conditions is becoming more problematic due to the emergence of theoretical and methodological uncertainties stipulated by the modern phase of the development of civilization, that has given rise to many risks and threats. However, without theoretical understanding, the abundance of empirical material does not always lead to the increment of new knowledge. Breakthroughs in empirical research, new methods of data collection, including working with big data, in the end only exacerbate uncertainty and critically complicate the process of creating new concepts.
Modern science reflects, comprehends its achievements and the need to go beyond the established approaches. The search for new paradigms in scientific cognition and practical activities is carried out taking into account the human dimension of development and in the search for a balance between man and nature. Penetration into the zone of ignorance is based on the possibility of creating new images based on previous experience, on reflection, where the possession of a developed imagination by the researcher becomes crucial. In the article, the process of functioning of sociology in the zone of ignorance is considered on the example of a hundred-year development of sociological science in Belarus: three stages in the development of sociology are identified, their content and features of the functioning of the problem field are revealed.
modernity, social reality, sociological imagination, zone of ignorance, problematic field, future
- Davidyuk G. P. V mukah i stradaniyah rodilas' sociologiya [Sociology was born in pain and suffering]. Sotsiologicheskiye issledovaniya, 2008: 6: 93–99 (in Russ.).
- Kant I. Sochineniya v shesti tomah [Works in six volumes]. Vol. 6. Moscow, Mysl’, 1966: 743 (in Russ.).
- Kasavin I. T. Nauka – gumanisticheskij proekt [Science is a humanistic project]. Moscow, Ves' Mir, 2020: 496 (in Russ.).
- Kafedra sociologii BGU: istoriya i sovremennost'. K 25-letiyu sozdaniya [Department of Sociology, Belarusian State University: history and modernity. To the 25th anniversary of creation]. Minsk, BGU, 2014: 230 (in Russ.).
- Kacenbogen S. Z. Belorusskij gosudarstvennyj universitet za 1922–23 akadem. god (itogi i perspektivy) [Belarusian State University for 1922–23 academician. year (results and prospects)]. Trudy BGU, 1923: 4–5 (in Russ.).
- Mills C. R. Sociologicheskoe voobrazhenie [Sociological imagination]. Moscow, NOTA BENE, 2001: 264 (in Russ.).
- Mironov V. V. Metafizika ne umiraet: izbrannye stati, vystupleniya i interv'yu [Metaphysics does not die: selected articles, speeches and interviews]. Moscow, RG-Press, 2020: 448 (in Russ.).
- Podvoisky D. G. Yazyki sociologii: mnogogolosie ili kakofoniya? [Languages of sociology: polyphony or cacophony?]. Sotsiologicheskiye issledovaniya, 2011: 5: 3–9 (in Russ.).
- Problemnaya nauchno-issledovatelskaya laboratoriya sociologicheskih issledovanij Belorusskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta (PNILSI BGU): k 50-letiyu sozdaniya [Problem Research Laboratory of Sociological Research of the Belarusian State University (PNILSI BSU): to the 50th anniversary of its creation]. Minsk, BGU, 2017: 99 (in Russ.).
- Simonyan R. H. Social Philosophy, Social Science or Generalistics: To the Problem of the Crisis of Sociology. Voprosy filosofii, 2021: 3: 29–40 (in Russ.).
- Spenser G. Avtobiografiya. Kiev, 1906 [Autobiography. Kyiv, 1906]. (Quoted by Shavel S. A. Prospects for the development of society). Minsk, Belaruskaya navuka, 2015: 39 (in Russ.).
- Styopin V. S. Kartina socialnoj realnosti v sisteme nauchnogo znaniya (ch. 2. Struktura social'noj real'nosti) [The picture of social reality in the system of scientific knowledge (part 2. The structure of social reality)]. Nauchno-teoretichekij zhurnal «Sociologiya», 2009: 4: 3–18 (in Russ.).
- Styopin V. S. Teoreticheskoe znanie: struktura, istoricheskaya evolyuciya [Theoretical knowledge: structure, historical evolution]. Minsk, Belaruskaya navuka, 2021: 539 (in Russ.).
- Shavel S. A. Obshchestvennaya missiya sociologii [Social mission of sociology]. Minsk, Belaruskaya navuka, 2010: 404 (in Russ.).
- Shavel S. A. Perspektivy razvitiya sociuma [Prospects for the development of society]. Minsk, Belaruskaya navuka, 2015, 507 (in Russ.).
- Shtompka P. Formirovanie sociologicheskogo voobrazheniya. Znachenie teorii [Formation of sociological imagination. The meaning of theory]. Sotsiologicheskiye issledovaniya, 2005: 10: 64–72 (in Russ.).
- Yanovskij O.A., Baranova E.V. Istoki universitetskoj sociologii v Belarusi: arhivnye fakty i razmyshleniya istorikov [Origins of university sociology in Belarus: archival facts and reflections of historians]. Sotsiologiya, 2007: 4: 10–20 (in Russ.).