Krzhizhanovskogo Street, 24/35, korpus 5, 117218, Moscow, Russia
Tel.: +7 (499) 128-85-19
Fax: +7 (495) 719-07-40
Federal Center of Theoretical and Applied Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Youth forms the human resources and future of the country. Therefore, it is important to know what ideals and attitudes of labor young people have when entering the labor market and how they can affect the quality of a recent graduate’s work; what factors affect professional self-determination, the choice of profession and what difficulties are faced by a young man or a woman; how stable is the commitment to the chosen profession; how the labor market and the educational services market interact in the modern Russian society, etc. In present-day conditions, professional self-determination of youth is defined not so much by individual factors as by social factors external to the essence of the profession chosen. A professional choice is made in a situation of uncertainty, often of an incidental nature, which has far-reaching consequences for both the individual and society as a whole, affecting the innovative development of the economy as a result. Closure of the system of occupational guidance of schoolchildren is one of the causes of disastrous imbalance between the Russian labor market, which requires, first of all, workers, industrial, including engineer professions, and educational services. In commitments of schoolchildren and students, labor values are deficient, they consider the most prestigious jobs to be the profession of a lawyer, a financial worker, a manager, an economist, a civil servant, etc. The study revealed a loss of interest in industrial professions in general, also among the youth who are not motivated to obtain working professions, to work in industrial enterprises. The needs of the labor market, the prospects for the country development testify to the need to improve, modernize, and not cut down the system of elementary vocational education, destined to train the workers to the level and the skill required by present-day production. A truly effective, not declarative state youth policy is needed, and a more sound coordination between the labor market and the educational services market is needed in order to bring the vocational education system of all levels in line with the structure of labor market needs.
career guidance, career choice, vocational education, social adaptation, labour orientations, labour market
1. Sayt Federal’noy sluzhby gosudarstvennoy statistiki. Zanyatost’ i bezrabotitsa v RF v fevrale 2011 g. (po itogam obsledovaniya naseleniya po problemam zanyatosti) [The site of the Federal State Statistics Service. Employment and unemployment in Russia in February 2011 (based on the results of a survey of the population on employment issues)]. URL: http://www.gks.ru [date of visit: 01.04.11] (in Russ.).
2. Ofitsial’nyy sayt MVD Rossii. Sostoyaniye prestupnosti – yanvar’– fevral’ 2011 g. [Official website of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia. The state of crime is January–February 2011]. URL: http://www.mvd.ru/ presscenter/statistics/reports/show_88090 [date of visit: 01.04.11] (in Russ.).
3. Shkel’ T. Kak uberech’ detey ot prestupnosti. Na Okhotnom ryadu vyslushali glavu MVD [How to protect children from crime. On the Okhotny Ryad listened to the head of the Ministry of Internal Affairs]. Rossiyskaya gazeta, 2006, May 18 (in Russ.).
4. Okol’skaya L. A. Trudovyye tsennosti i normy v soderzhanii nachal’nogo obrazovaniya (po materialam analiza shkol’nykh uchebnikov). Avtoreferat dissertatsii na soiskaniye uchenoy stepeni k.sots.n [Labor values and norms in the content of primary education (based on the analysis of school textbooks). The dissertation author's abstract on scientific degree competition cand. of sociol. Sci.]. Moscow, 2006 (in Russ.).
5. Potrebnosti v rabotnikakh. Otchët Departamenta truda i zanyatosti g. Moskvy [Needs for workers. Report of the Department of Labor and Employment in Moscow]. URL: http://labor.ru/?id=1012 [date of visit: 01.04.11] (in Russ.).
6. Makarova M. N. Strategii vosproizvodstva rabochikh kak otrazheniye ikh trudovykh i obrazovatel’nykh oriyentatsiy [Strategies for the reproduction of workers as a reflection of their labor and educational orientations]. Sotsiologicheskiye issledovaniya, 2007, no 8, p. 59 (in Russ.).
7. Zavod konchayetsya. V professional’nykh uchilishchakh defitsit abituriyentov, a na proizvodstve – kvalifitsirovannykh rabochikh [The plant is finishing. In vocational schools there is a shortage of entrants, and in production there is a shortage of entrants skilled workers]. Rossiyskaya gazeta, 2008. 22 July (in Russ.).
8. Sayt Federal’noy sluzhby gosudarstvennoy statistiki. Nachal’noye professional’noye obrazovaniye. Chislo obrazovatel’nykh uchrezhdeniy nachal’nogo professional’nogo obrazovaniya [The site of the Federal State Statistics Service. Primary vocational education. Number of educational institutions of primary vocational education]. URL: http://www.gks.ru [date of visit: 01.04.11] (in Russ.).
9. Pokoleniye «CHi» [Generation "Chi"]. Izvestiya, 2010, 18 August (in Russ.).