Krzhizhanovskogo Street, 24/35, korpus 5, 117218, Moscow, Russia
Tel.: +7 (499) 128-85-19
Fax: +7 (495) 719-07-40
Federal Center of Theoretical and Applied Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences
On the basis of the longitudinal sociological research (1998–2008) of the life paths of graduates of secondary schools, specialized secondary schools and vocational schools of the Novosibirsk Region, the forming of educational and professional trajectories of youth are analyzed, their accumulation for over 10 years of independent life of educational resources, and their impact on objective social and professional position. Different groups of young people are differentially involved in raising their level of intellectual development, accumulating and updating necessary knowledge and skills. Their educational and professional trajectories are analyzed from the perspective of generation and accumulation of human assets, which means a set of economically valuable resources embodied in a person: knowledge, skills, motivations, etc. The educational trajectory is defined as obtaining by its subject of formal qualifications, competences confirmed institutionally, experience acquired informally in the form of knowledge and skills. A professional trajectory is determined in terms of transition of the subject from one position in the labor market to another. The analysis of accumulation of educational resources shows that the starting resource is an essential social characteristic that differentiates the further accumulation of educational capital that manifests itself in the educational and professional trajectories of different groups of youth. Almost all school-leavers continue their education, and graduates of vocational schools more often retain the level of education received. At the same time, the main feature of the youth in the ten-year accumulation of educational capital is an increase in the proportion of those who have passed through the system of higher education. A number of interdependencies between the volume and quality of the accumulated educational resources and the achieved social and professional statuses have been established. It is shown that accumulation of the educational potential predetermines not only the objective social position of the respondents, but significantly affects the subjective self-perception and self-esteem. Forming-up of a professional career increasingly depends on how intensively and purposefully the young accumulate knowledge, skills and qualifications. Investments in human capital, especially in education, bring benefits not directly related to income, but expressed, in particular, in increasing the social self-esteem of an individual.
educational and professional trajectories, accumulation of educational resources, human capital, formal and additional education, socio-professional status
1. Bekker G. S. Chelovecheskoye povedeniye: ekonomicheskiy podkhod. Izbrannyye trudy po ekonomicheskoy teorii [Human behavior: an economic approach. Selected works on economic theory]. Moscow, GU–VSH·E, 2003 (in Russ.).
2. Voznesenskaya E. D., Khokhlushkina F. A. Obrazovatel’nyye i professional’nyye trayektorii vypusknikov uchebnykh zavedeniy dovuzovskogo professional’nogo obrazovaniya [Educational and professional trajectories of graduates of educational institutions of pre-university vocational education]. Sotsiologiya obrazovaniya, 2009, no 2 (in Russ.).
3. Dobrynin A. I., Dyatlov S. A., Tsyrenova E. D. Chelovecheskiy kapital v tranzitivnoy ekonomike: formirovaniye, otsenka, effektivnost’ ispol’zovaniya [Human capital in a transitive economy: formation, assessment, efficiency of use]. Saint Petersburg, Nauka, 1999 (in Russ.).
4. Kogda nastupayet vremya vybora. Ustremleniya molodezhi i pervyye shagi posle okonchaniya uchebnykh zavedeniy ["When the time of choice comes. Aspirations of young people and the first steps after graduation]. Ed. by G. A. Cherednichenko. Saint Petersburg, RKHGI, 2001 (in Russ.).
5. Konstantinovskiy D. L., Cherednichenko G. A. Sistema obrazovaniya: otkrytyye dveri ili differentsiatsiya vozmozhnostey? [Educational system: open doors or differentiation of opportunities?]. Rossiya reformiruyushchayasya. Ezhegodnik–2003. Responsible ed. L. M. Drobizheva. Moscow, IS RAN, 2003 (in Russ.).
6. Obrazovaniye i nauka v protsesse reform. Sotsiologicheskiy analiz [Education and science in the process of reform. Sociological analysis]. Editors-compilers D. L. Konstantinovskiy, L. P. Verevkin. Moscow, TSSP, 2003 (in Russ.).
7. Cherednichenko G. A. Obrazovatel’nyye i professional’nyye trayektorii vypusknikov srednikh shkol [Educational and professional trajectories of high school graduates]. Sotsiologiya obrazovaniya, 2009, no 1 (in Russ.).
8. Becker G. S. Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education. New York, National Bureau of Economic Research, 1964.
9. Galland O. Sociologie de la jeunesse. L’entrée dans la vie. Paris, Armand Colin, 1991.
10. Les jeunes et les autres (Contributions des sciences de l’homme à la question des jeunes, coordonnées par François Proust). Paris, 1985.
11. Schultz T. W. The Economic Value of Education. New York, Columbia University Press, 1963.