Dynamics of subjective power status.
Vestnik instituta sotziologii. 2022. Vol. 13. No. 2. P. 13-30
Дата поступления статьи: 27.01.2022
Topic: Civic engagement in Russia: institutions and motivations
The article presents the results of the analysis of the features of self-identification of Russian citizens in the power space of the post-Soviet society. The empirical base of the study is formed by the data of the Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey (RLMS-HSE) by HSE University (1994–2020). The study revealed a positive, but very moderate and not always consistent dynamics of Russian citizens' assessments of their position in the power space. However, despite the fact that Russians have become more optimistic about their ability to influence current events, many of them still feel that they are not active subjects, but rather passive and helpless objects in the system of power relations. There has been established a significant negative, but not strong, correlation between self-assessment of power status and age, as well as a more significant positive correlation between subjective power status and the level of education and professional status closely related to it.
Self-assessment of power status is enhanced by individuals´ belonging to professional groups, whose representatives are more associated with prestigious, highly skilled and highly paid work. A positive correlation has been established between a person's self-determination in the power space and the level of his involvement in professional activities, especially in those with leadership and management functions. A positive correlation is clearly recorded between self-assessment of power status and assessment of the level of respect by others, but the strongest is the relationship between assessments of one's position on the power scales and material well-being. Possession of power expands the resource base of an individual and increases his chances of success in realising life goals. A positive perception of one's professional qualities and achievements, participation in various forms of social and political life significantly increases self-assessment of power status. The most significant factors acting in the opposite direction include the cessation of full communication with other people.
power, influence, identity, self-assessment, social status, respect
- Bourdieu P. Sotsiologiya politiki [Sociology of politics]. Transl. from Fr. Ed. by N. A. Shmatko. Moscow, Socio-Logos, 1993: 336 (in Russ.).
- Weber M. Osnovnyye sotsiologicheskiye ponyatiya [Basic sociological concepts]. Teoreticheskaya sotsiologiya: Antologiya. Moscow, KD «Universitet», 2002: 1: 70–146 (in Russ.).
- Volokhov A. E., Toshchenko Zh. T. Vlast' [Power]. Sotsiologicheskiy slovar'. Moscow, Norma, 2008: 608 (in Russ.).
- Gadzhiev K. S. Vlasti teoriya [Power theory]. Sovremennaya zapadnaya sotsiologiya: Slovar'. Moscow, Politizdat, 1990: 432 (in Russ.).
- De Vreede E. Kul'tura, tsivilizatsiya i identichnost' [Culture, Civilization and Identity]. Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya, 2012: 5: 17–23 (in Russ.).
- Kolennikova N. D. Characteristics of the power status of employed population in modern Russia. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniya: Ekonomicheskiye i sotsial'nyye peremeny, 2017: 5: 214–232 (in Russ.). DOI: 10.14515/monitoring.2017.5.12.
- Mannheim K. Ocherki sotsiologii znaniya: Problema pokoleniy — sostyazatel'nost' — ekonomicheskiye ambitsii [Essays on the sociology of knowledge: The problem of generations – competitiveness – economic ambitions]. Transl. by Dodin E. Ya. Moscow, INION RAN. 2000: 164 (in Russ.).
- Pantin V. I. Politicheskaya i tsivilizatsionnaya samoidentifikatsiya sovremennogo rossiyskogo obshchestva v usloviyakh globalizatsii [Political and Civilizational Self-identification of Modern Russian Society under Globalization]. Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya, 2008: 3: 29–39 (in Russ.).
- Parsons T. Sistema sovremennykh obshchestv [The system of modern societies]. Transl. by L. A. Sedova, A. D. Kovaleva. Ed. by M. S. Kovaleva. Moscow, Aspekt Press, 1998: 270 (in Russ.).
- Semenenko I. S. Obrazy i imidzhi v diskurse natsional'noy identichnosti [Depictions and images in the Discourse of National Identity]. Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya, 2008: 5: 7–18 (in Russ.).
- Fan I. B. Lichnost' i vlast': problema identifikatsii [Personality and power: the problem of identification]. Nauchnyy yezhegodnik Instituta filosofii i prava UrO RANk. Vyp. 2. Yekaterinburg, UrO RAN, 2001: 136–165 (in Russ.).
- Filippova L. E. Moral'nyy poryadok: dolzhnoye i sushcheye [Moral order: due and existing]. Grazhdanskoye i politicheskoye v rossiyskikh obshchestvennykh praktikakh. Ed. by. S. V. Patrushev. Moscow, ROSSPEN, 2013: 20–31 (in Russ.).
- Folomeeva T. V., Fedotova S. V. Fenomen sotsial'nogo statusa v sovremennom rossiyskom obshchestve [The phenomenon of social status in modern Russian society]. Psikhologicheskiye issledovaniya, 2016: 9: 48: 7. Accessed 05.09.2021. URL: http://psystudy.ru/index.php/num/2016v9n48/1309-folomeeva48.html (in Russ.).