Krzhizhanovskogo Street, 24/35, korpus 5, 117218, Moscow, Russia
Tel.: +7 (499) 128-85-19
Fax: +7 (495) 719-07-40
Federal Center of Theoretical and Applied Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences
The article analyzes the history of translations of the Koran in Russia. Great attention is paid to the biographies of translators. The first Russian edition of the Koran turned out to be associated with an indigenous person of the Peter the Great era, the first doctor who graduated in Russia, awarded a doctoral degree from a West European university, Peter Postnikov. The translation of Koran was made from the French translation by André Du Ryer. The secondary transfer of the text into another language does not allow us to impose any serious demands to the translation of Postnikov in terms of adequacy to the Arabic original. The first scientifically commented translation was made by Aleksey Vasilievich Kolmakov, a professional translator from English at the Admiralty collegium. In 1787, the first in Russia edition of the main sacred book of Muslims in Arabic was published in St. Petersburg, and at the end of the 18th century, – new Russian translations of the sacred book. The most important was the translation, published in 1790 and carried out by Mikhail Ivanovich Verevkin, a writer popular at that time, and translator. Gordiy Sablukov is considered as the first official translator of the Koran from Arabic. However, seven years before his translation made in 1878, there was an unknown translation of Islam’s main sacred book from the original language, authored by general Dmitry Boguslavsky. Both translations are not so much a revelation of the actual content of the book, but a reflection of its interpretations by Muslim theologians. The difference between these two translations consisted only in the fact that Sablukov used theological commentaries of the Koran, popular among the Kazan Tatars, while Boguslavsky – the Koranic interpretations of Turkish theologians. This approach was very important for studying the evolution of Muslim thought. The Boguslavsky’s translation was discovered and studied in detail by academician Krachkovsky. His publication was found only at the very end of the last century. A presentation of the Koran edition in the translation of general Boguslavsky was given at the Moscow International Book Fair of 1995.
Quaran, Islam, translation, the Arab language, Russian literature, interpretation, exegesis
1. Sopikov V. S. Opyt rossiyskoy bibliografii. Reprintnoe izdanie v 2 tomakh [Experience of Russian bibliography. Reprinted in 2 volumes]. Saint Petersburg, Alʹfaret, 2006 (in Russ.).
2. Pekarskiy P. Nauka i literatura v Rossii pri Petre Velikom [Science and literature in Russia under Peter the Great]. In 2 vol. Saint Petersburg, 1862 (in Russ.).
3. Shmurlo E. Postnikov: Neskolʹko dannykh dlya ego biografii [Postnikov: Several data for his biography]. Yurʹev, 1894 (in Russ.).
4. Tsvetaev D. V. Mediki Moskovskoy Rossii i pervyy russkiy doktor: Istoriko-biograficheskiy ocherk [Physicians of Moscow Russia and the first Russian doctor: Historical and biographical essay]. Varshava, 1896 (in Russ.).
5. Bogoslovskiy M. M. Russkoe obshchestvo i nauka pri Petre Velikom [Russian society and science under Peter the Great]. Leningrad, 1926 (in Russ.).
6. Rodyukov M. V. Novye istochniki o pervom russkom doktore meditsiny P. V. Postnikove [New sources about the first Russian doctor of medicine P. V. Postnikov]. Arkheograficheskiy ezhegodnik za 1985 god. Moscow, Nauka, 1986, pp. 209–212 (in Russ.).
7. Krachkovskiy I. Yu. Izbrannye sochineniya [Selected works]. In 6 vol. Moscow, Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1956–1958 (in Russ.).
8. Svodnyy katalog russkoy knigi grazhdanskoy pechati XVIII veka. 1725–1800 [The Consolidated Catalog of the Russian Civil Book of the 18th Century. 1725–1800]. In 5 vol. Moscow, 1962–1966 (in Russ.).
9. Krymskiy A. E. Istoriya arabov i arabskoy literatury, svetskoy i dukhovnoy (Korana, fykkha, sunny i pr.) [The history of Arabs and Arabic literature, secular and spiritual (Koran, fikhkh, sunna, etc.)]. Part 1–3. Moscow, 1911–1913 (in Russ.).
10. Tupikov N. Mikhail Ivanovich Veryovkin: Istoriko-literaturnyy ocherk [Mikhail Ivanovich Verevkin: Historical and literary essay]. Saint Petersburg, 1895 (in Russ.).
11. Posluzhnoy spisok deystvitelʹnogo statskogo sovetnika Mikhaila Ivanovicha Veryovkina [A record of the actual state councilor Mikhail Ivanovich Verevkin]. Moskvityanin, 1842, no 12, pp. 398–402 (in Russ.).
12. Kashtalyova K. S. «Podrazhaniya Koranu» Pushkina i ikh pervoistochnik [“Imitations of the Koran” of Pushkin and their original source]. Zapiski Kollegii vostokovedov pri Aziatskom muzee Akademii nauk SSSR. Leningrad, 1930, vol. 5, pp. 243–270 (in Russ.).
13. Krachkovskiy I. Yu. Perevod Korana D. N. Boguslavskogo [Translation of the Koran by D. N. Boguslavsky]. Sovetskoe vostokovedenie. Moscow, Leningrad, 1945, vol. 3, pp. 293–301 (in Russ.).